Recently ran across this excerpt from a class of 2020 commencement speech given by Arnold Schwarzenegger…
“So let me tell you, as you prepare to go off into the world, remember six rules: Trust yourself, Break some rules, Don’t be afraid to fail, Ignore the naysayers, Work like hell, and Give something back.”
Let’s examine Arnies pick 6:
- Trust Yourself – Without faith in ourselves we have nothing. We can be the most talented people in any industry but unless we have a confidence, belief and overwhelming trust in ourselves and our abilities, we are destined to either fall flat on our face or grossly underachieve.
- Break Some Rules – “Some” is the keyword here because if we break all the rules, we will be nothing more than disrespectful, self-indulgent, narcissistic anarchists who pretend to want a better world for everybody but in reality, have no sense at all of how to play well with others, which is actually what got them to this pathetic state of life in the first place.
- Don’t Be Afraid To Fail – Fear is something we will all face in our lives and is the number one cause of resistance to progress… When we become scared to fail, we become scared to act which will inhibit us from ever reaching our potential. Recognize fear and embrace failure… When we acknowledge the potential benefits to failure, our fears of incurring it may not completely dissipate, but they undoubtedly will begin to subside.
- Ignore The Naysayers – “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.” Since I was a kid my Mom has always reminded me of this mantra and for good reason… As an athletic little shit who wasn’t afraid to speak my mind and wasn’t short on confidence, I consistently played with the older kids and was picked on, teased and ridiculed throughout my entire childhood… In a lot of ways I can say that my experiences as a youth prepared me for professional baseball and the constant critical judgment that just about every public figure will endure from the outside world. By nature, people are petty and jealous so when we have success, there will always be somebody to try to discredit or marginalize our accomplishments… And just like Sir Arnold said, the best way to deal with these gigantic A Holes… Ignore them.
- Work Like Hell – This one isn’t that complicated and doesn’t need much of an explanation… We here at the Daily Hustle know that the only thing we will ever get out is what we put in. Simply put, DO THE F*ING WORK.
- Give Something Back – The most rewarding thing we will ever experience in our lives is GIVING BACK. Sure this could be done monetarily, but the greatest impact we will ever make is by dedicating our time, energy and effort to positively impact the people and world around us.
Thanks Mr. Terminator, the Pick 6 is a definite winner. 👊
P.S. Have you hopped on a Team GoHard Foot Reflexology Board yet?