I’m not sure there are many more things in life that are more representative of the American culture than that of the buffet…
First off, there is an abundance of food for everyone willing to pay the price.
Kids and seniors only pay half the freight because even though we are a capitalist buffet, we like to cater to those who may not be able to properly fend for themselves.
On the surface, the buffet is everything we think we want in life… We have so many options and opportunities to indulge and there are surpluses readily available to us.
Buffets also make us great sharers… Want a piece of my bacon? 🥓No problem, I can get up and go grab another 9 pounds. 👍Go ahead and take a pancake. 🥞There are 976 more if you want another…
So what’s the problem? 🤷♂️
First and foremost, when we walk into the buffet, we become over consuming sloths, eating and drinking everything in our path because we can… Oh yea, we also paid $29.99 so your gosh damn right we need to make sure we CRUSH our money’s worth.
We then develop this elitist mindset and begin to think we are owed that food… Of course we then take for granted all of the food and other things in our lives that we should be thankful for.
Worst of all is the disgusting amount of food that we waste… We become collectors of mass amounts of shit that we don’t really want and we definitely don’t need. After we binge slaughter to the point where our stomachs are about to explode, we start feeling bad about the inordinate amount of mass consumption. Even worse, we look down at all of the food that we didn’t touch and beat ourselves up over being self absorbed wasteful weenies…
As we all know, the first step to recovery is admitting we have a problem. 🙋♂️
Now that we have all done that, let’s go over 3 simple steps we can take at the buffet of life that will ultimately lead us to a better, more fulfilling & efficient buffet society…
1) Minimize… For whatever reason, we feel like that first plate we load up is going to be the last meal we ever eat on earth. Although that is a possibility, ☠️the reality is that more likely than not, we will get to eat again. Excess food and excess material possessions don’t lead to happiness; they lead to gluttony, complacency and entitlement. 🤦♂️
2) Slow the roll… Instead of gobbling up the entire plate in one bite, let’s take our time to TASTE the food & our life. 😋Nothing brings us more into the moment than focusing on our innate senses and experiencing each one of them for all their worth.
3) Attitude of gratitude… Whether we are at the omelet station or anywhere else in life, it’s imperative to be grateful for what we have in front of us. We all know that there are people around the world that go hungry every single day, so just the fact that we have an opportunity to eat & experience life should be enough to have us thanking our lucky shamrocks. ☘️
Bottom line: As we walk through the buffet of life, let’s make sure we…
- Discipline ourselves to take only what we truly need and will consume.
- Slow down to the point where we will be able to bring ourselves into the moment of our experiences.
- Be GRATEFUL for EVERYTHING available to us that we have an ability to put on our table.