Well September 17th is a special day because it gives us a chance to celebrate the rock of our family and also allows for reflection and a trip down memory lane that usually comes with a pretty cool history lesson…
Without giving away my mother’s actual age, Judith Ann Mullin, later to become Byrnes when she married my Dad, was actually born when a freaking Roosevelt was in office. 😅
She has lived through WWII, The Korean War, The Cuban Missile Crisis, The Kennedy assassination, Watergate, Regan getting shot, The Gulf War, 9-11 and the war on Iraq & Afghanistan… In total, Mom has lived under 14 different Presidents, the creation of colored TV, the personal computer, the cell phone, the internet and now one global pandemic (unfortunately she missed the 1918 Spanish Flu by a few years)…
Oh and just in case you were wondering how much things cost when Mom was brought into this beautiful world, here a few numbers to digest…
- Average cost of a new house: $3,770
- Average wages per year: $1,880
- Cost of a gallon of Gas: 15 cents
- Average Cost for house rent: $35 per month
- Bottle Coca Cola: 5 cents
- Average Price for a new car: $920
The beautiful thing is that in Mom’s ripe young age, she has simply continued to CHARGE life by walking 5 miles a day and working a career as a real estate agent and has just so happened to have a terrific year in these unsettling times…
The question for all of us Daily Hustlers is what can we learn from this 70 something year old woman that has continued to survive & thrive in an ever changing and evolving world?
- Work – Doesn’t matter who we are or what we do, we must continue to lift our heads off of the pillow in the morning and have a grand sense of purpose and that purpose is so often found through some form of work… Don’t ever stop.
- Moderation – Kowalski likes to say anything worth doing is worth overdoing, but he is a bit of a mechanistic sicko… Mom has lived her life predicated on moderation in all arenas.
- Laugh – Sure she gets fired up and can debate politics with the best of them, but she also has never taken herself too seriously, always is willing to hear opposing points of view and laughs all the time… Often times at her own expense 🤣
- LOVE – Never in my life have I met a more loving person… Of course Mom loves her kids and her grandkids, but the bond and love she exudes for her sisters, brother and just about anybody she has developed a relationship with over the past three quarters of a century is simply next level.
Of course she has flaws just like the rest of us, but if we all implemented the core 4 Judy Byrnes principles listed above, this world would be a much better place…
Happy B Day Mom, KEEP CHARGING. 👊
P.S. Have you hopped on a Team GoHard Foot Reflexology Board yet?